Dark circles are characteristic bruise-like areas under the eyes, and a common beauty concern for many women. The skin around the eyes is very thin, (about 0.5 mm, 4 times thinner than in other parts of the face) the area is covered with many small blood vessels, which appear in a dark bluish shade for some people.
Possible causes for dark circles
- Genetics: Weak blood vessels that restrict hemoglobin (red blood cell) flow can be hereditary. When hemoglobin is low it causes a pigmented waste product that is deposited in the dermis and epidermis. The thinner the skin, the darker the circles will be evident.
- Medical conditions: Cases such as allergies, asthma, eczema, liver problems and an iron deficiency can cause dark circles to develop under the eyes. additionally, some drugs expand blood vessels and cause the skin under the eyes to appear darker.
- Aging and fatigue: As we age, our skin loses collagen, becoming thinner and making discoloration more apparent. Lack of sleep and constant fatigue are also causes.
A Triple Dose of P: Peptides, Proteins and Plant, to Help Ward Off Dark Shadows.
A clinical study of 22 participants revealved that a drug combination of N-hydroxy succinimides, chrysin, palmitoyl oligopeptide and palmitoyl tetrapeptide is an effective treatment for eliminating dark circles. The combination of these ingredients ensures that dark pigment-causing elements are eliminated. Simultaneously, the treatment reduces inflammation and strengthens skin density. The skin around the eyes becomes visibly younger and radiant. Andrea Weber, head of BABOR research and innovation center explains how these ingredients work: First the combination of N-hydroxysuccinimide and chrysin helps eliminate the waste product of the hemoglobin molecules. This lightens the skin and inflammation is suppressed. Palmitoyl Oligopeptide is added to improve the functionality of the fibroblasts in the dermis and tightens the skin. Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide prevents the secretion of inflammatory casuing cytokines.
Solutions from Dr. Grandel
Dr. Grandel uses a different combination of ingredients and complexes to target dark eye circles. “Our drainage complex treatment consists of soy peptides, rice germ and yeast proteins. It improves microcirculation. As a result, removal of waste products is improved, congestion is reduced and swelling is alleviated,” says Training manager Kathrin Sommer. “Additionally, the drainage complex treatment protects the elastin and collagen fibers, giving strength and firmness to the contours in the eye area. It also provides protection against free radicals. The eye area appears brighter, and dark shadows under the eyes are reduced.”
Other treatments for eyes from the Grandel Group include the Eye Fit complex. Derived mostly from botanical sources such as the butcher’s broom, calendula, horse chestnut, tiger grass and liquorice plants, combined with yeast proteins and panthenol. Together, these ingredients are particularly effective against dark circles around the eyes. The eye area appears brighter, clearer and smoother. A further ingredient complex is a combination of peptides and a stabilized form of hesperidin that is used in the DR.GRANDEL Contour Firmer. Hesperidin is a flavonoid that is found primarily in citrus fruits. It has vasoprotective and vascular-boosting properties and has a dehydrating effect. Together, the active ingredient combination of hesperidin and peptides reduce permeability of the capillary walls, increase lymphatic circulation and improve the strength and elasticity of the cell fibres. Because less water from the surrounding tissue is present, existing tissue water is removed more effectively through the lymphatic system, leaving the eye tissue firmer and smoother.
Besides cosmetic components, there are other methods and tricks to prevent the formation of dark circles under the eyes:
- Plenty of sleep
- Drinking plenty of water, at least 2 L / day
- Compresses soaked in chamomile tea or special cooling masks that are refrigerated prior to application can improve blood circulation and reduce dark circles
Photo Credit: La Roche Posay
Mandatory when using source